Friday, May 13, 2011

This blog is brought to you by the letter D and the number 4

Hi there.  You’re probably wondering what happened to me.  I’m fine, thanks for asking.  Life just got a little busy there for a bit and … my computer got a little busted.  It still is, in fact.  Busted.  I’m missing the D key and the 4 key.  Turns out, if you’re not paying attention and a cat comes over your shoulder at the speed of meow, she can land with enough force to knock some keys loose.  Better than teeth, right?  Right.  Anyway, I’m actually still missing the keys – haven’t had the time to get it fixed – but have finally adapted to hitting the little white button where the “d” key used to be.  Come on, how often does one really use the number 4 or the dollar sign ($), anyway.  The “d” is the most heartbreaking of the two missing keys.  I should have it fixed this week.  *fingers crossed*

Anyway, I’ve tried a few new recipes over the past 9 days that were definitely blog worthy but, I either didn’t plan on blogging and therefore, didn’t get any photos or was just too depressed to blog because the “d” was gone.  (Okay, honestly, hitting that little white button takes some serious getting used to – do you even realize how many words contain the letter D?! – and my wrist is a little sore from the extra stretching required to properly hit the button and produce a letter.  I know, I know – boo hoo.  Fine.)  I promise to remake the recipes that didn’t get photos done because, of course, those were the best.  Hey, it’s okay.  I’ll slave over a hot stove again making those delicious dinners.  After all, y’all are worth it.  J

So, what’s on the menu tonight?  Well, considering it’s been a million degrees down here the past few days with 150% humidity, NOT something that requires oven time.  And, definitely something that doesn’t require loads of time because I’d rather sit, eat and have a frosty beverage than spend too much time in front of that hot stove.  So, pasta it is!  Pasta with Arugula and Shaved Parmesan, to be exact.  Yummy sounding, isn’t it?  I thought so too.  The recipe comes from Cooking Light, May 1998. (yes, we’ve already discussed that I’m somewhat of a packrat but the good news is, I’ve finally gone through all those old magazines!  Yay me!  (insert clapping here) Now, if I could just dispose of those really old grocery receipts that I leave in the bags that get shoved into my bag lady.  What, you don’t know what a bag lady is?  And, no I’m not talking about the character Carol Burnett used to play on her show.  Wait, did I just show my age there?  Oops! Pay no mind to my Carol Burnett Show reference.  Anyway, see below for what a bag lady is.)

the most awesome bag lady EVAH!
Back to the food, the pasta turned out to be so totally easy to make and pretty delicious!  All you have to chop in the tomatoes, some olives and a couple cloves of garlic.  The rest was measure and pour – gotta like that!  Of course, the arugula requires taking out of the package but I'm confident you can handle that. :)  I should note my local grocery didn't just carry arugula so I purchased a combo pack of baby spinach and arugula.  Hey, it was what they had and it worked out just fine!  Word of warning – this recipe calls for ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper.  Please be aware that while a ½ teaspoon doesn’t sound like much, it can pack a pretty good whallop depending on how the mixing goes.  Consider yourself warned.  If you’re not a spicy food person (Mom, you may want to notate this adjustment for G-ma), I would definitely drop it down to a ¼ teaspoon or even just a shake/pinch.  Otherwise, someone is going to end up fanning his face and hollering WOOHOO at the dinner table! (man, I wish I had a video of THAT!) J

My only other recommendation with this recipe?  Pair it with a wine that will stand up to the spiciness, like a Sauvignon Blanc, Gewurztraminer or Riesling.  I went for a Sauvignon Blanc and it was quite satisfying.  If you’re not a wine person, drink what makes you happy.  Enjoy!

Here’s the recipe.  Happy cooking, drinking and eating!

Pasta with Arugula and Shaved Parmesan

2 ¼ cups chopped plum tomatoes
¼ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
1 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups hot cooked gemelli or fusilli (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta twists)
3 cups torn arugula
2 ounces shaved fresh Parmesan cheese

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl.  Add pasta and arugula, and toss gently.  Place 2 cups pasta mixture in each of 4 bowls, and sprinkle with cheese.

all mixed and waiting for the pasta and arugula

yum!
Yield: 4 servings

Calories 352 (28% from fat); Fat 11.1g (sat 3.3g, mono 5.6g, poly 1.2g); Protein 14.1g; Carbohydrate 49.8g; Fiber 3.1g; Cholesterol 10mg; Iron 3.1mg; Sodium 469mg; Calcium 240mg

No comments:

Post a Comment