Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Black-eyed peas in the house!

Day three.  It’s not difficult to cook vegetarian meals at all – it’s just cooking, after all – but it is difficult to decide on recipes that sound good and will be pleasing to my picky family.  I do love my vegetables but this experiment has shown me how much I rely on animal protein.  Although, THAT can get boring too.  I mean, really, it can be very hard to make chicken or pork interesting.  You wouldn’t think so but how many times have you opened your fridge or freezer and said to yourself, “oh great, chicken again”?  If anything, I’ve at least expanded my culinary skills and my family has expanded their taste horizons.  I hope.  Well, I know I’ve expanded my culinary skills but the family is on their own.  I can say with certainty that we’re having Bulgogi on Friday.  That involves meat (grilled, of course).

So, tonight I decided on a legume I’ve never made before.  Ever.  Pretty brave, don’t you think?  I’ve hardly even got any eating experience where this legume is concerned – they’re a little daunting.  Black-eyed peas.  All you southerners are probably rolling around on the floor laughing right now at my inexperience.  FINE!  Done yet?  Do you need a tissue to wipe your eyes?  Sheesh.  Anyway, I’ve only had them a couple of times – honestly, I really think it’s two times – and the first time was really, really good!  Now, there WAS bacon in there and that may (probably) have had something to do with why they were so good.  Of course, we’re doing the meat-free thing so no bacon in this recipe tonight.  But it is chock full of other yummy vegetables and, interestingly enough, seasonings like steak sauce.  That doesn’t count against me, does it?  I mean, is it against some sort of rule to even HAVE it in my house?  Thing 2 even wondered if it was “non-vegetarian” to use steak sauce.  Like it’s made out of steak or something.  Now that’s funny.

I found the recipe for the black-eyed pea and vegetable stew in my trusty New Vegetarian Cuisine cookbook – boy does that book seem like it’s full of good recipes!  AND, it has lots of full-color pictures to show you what your recipe could look like if you had a professional chef and food stylist/photographer at your disposal.  Oh, and the pictures actually make everything look really good (even Brussels sprouts) and worth eating.  The cooking time is a bit extensive – about 3 hours – BUT, you can pre-cook the black-eyed peas and save them for later.  That would cut the cooking time down to just over an hour which makes it interesting but doable after work provided you don’t get off work really late or have a massive commute.  BUT, (yes, another one – just go with it) this recipe is PERFECT for making ahead on a weekend and reheating – that definitely makes it qualify for a good weeknight meal. 

The black-eyed peas need to be soaked overnight – I guess this drowns the little suckers so they put up less of a fight when you cook them.  Seriously, I don’t even know the purpose behind soaking beans overnight when it takes multiple hours to cook them anyway BEFORE they go into the recipe and get cooked some more.  Does it REALLY take that long for them to soften?  Are they really rocks disguised as legumes?  Anyway, that’s for another day – no time for that discussion now.  So, again, soak them overnight and then they get drained and cooked for 1 ½ to 2 hours.  Please be aware that when you are cooking them, you should definitely pay attention to them and make sure the water isn’t boiling all away leaving a slightly ridiculous stuck-on mess in your pan.  Don’t ask me how I know – just trust me.  It’s depressing when the recipe says “drain” and there’s nothing left to drain. 

Everything else came together pretty well and produced a very delicious stew!  I’m actually pretty proud of my first attempt at making black-eyed peas.  And, I can’t wait to have this for lunch tomorrow.  And probably the day after that – um, we kinda have a lot of leftovers.  4 servings, my eye.  Husband really liked the stew and rated it over the Tagine from last night but below the chilaquiles from Sunday night. (oh yes, those chilaquiles WERE delicious!)  Things 1 and 2 both liked the stew too.  I don’t think they were crazy about it but they ate it and didn’t complain.  Too much.  They ARE teenagers, after all.  Of course they have to complain.   Thing 2 said she thought sausage would go really well in the stew (sorry vegetarians, what can I say? You don’t have to add sausage if you don’t want to.  I may the next time I make it.)

So, day 3 of vegetarian dinners was a success.  Make this.  It’s good.  And warm.  Here’s the recipe.

Happy cooking, eating, and drinking!

Black-eyed pea and vegetable stew

8 ounces dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 ½ cups chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup chopped turnips
1 cup sliced carrots
1 can (28 oz) low-sodium crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
2 tablespoons steak sauce
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar or molasses
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon corn starch
3-4 drops hot-pepper sauce

1.  Drain the black-eyed peas and place in a 2-quart saucepan.  Add cold water to cover.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to low, partially cover the pan, and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours, or until tender.  Drain and set aside.

2.  In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil.  Add the onions and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.  Stir in the potatoes, turnips, and carrots; cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in the tomatoes; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. 

lotsa good stuff happening in there

mmm...welcome to the pot, tomatoes
3.  Stir in the black-eyed peas, corn, steak sauce, chili sauce, sugar or molasses, vinegar, corn starch and hot-pepper sauce.  Cover and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, or until thick and the vegetables are tender.

well, hello there

yummy stew!
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 280 calories, 5.1g fat (15% of calories), 9.2g dietary fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment